Today we will be breaking down all of the relevant changes in TFT patch 10.9. There are quite a few system changes to go over and heaps of balance tweaks so let’s jump right into.
To start it off let’s talk about the new galaxies being added in 10.9.
Treasure Trove Galaxy
Every minion and monster in the game will drop a loot box. That means there’s gonna be a lot more items, and gold. How this galaxy affects the meta we’ll have to wait and see but expect some wild matches on the galaxy with increased amounts of gold and items that you’re likely to get.
Star Cluster Galaxy
This galaxy makes it so that all 1, 2, and 3-cost champions are all 2 starred on every single carousel. One other change to note that is specific to this galaxy is the carousel in stage 2 will have all 2-cost champions. This is to help prevent insane power spikes of a player getting a 2-star 3-cost that early in the game. That’s it for galaxies, let’s move on to other system changes in 10.9.
Champion Shop Drop Rates
- Level 3: 70/30/0/0/0% -> 75/25/0/0/0%
- Level 4: 50/35/15/0/0% -> 60/30/10/0/0%
- Level 5: 35/40/20/5/0% -> 40/35/20/5/0%
- Level 6: 20/35/35/10/0% -> 25/35/30/10/0%
- Level 7: 14/30/40/15/1% -> 19/30/35/15/1%
Item and Drop changes
- Players can no longer sell units if doing so would cause an item to be deleted.
- Players can no longer open loot orbs if their item bench is full.
- Now all players drop at least 1 small orb in the first 3 PVE rounds.
- Treasure Trove: Every minion and monster in the game drops a loot orb.
- Star Cluster: All Tier 1/2/3 champions on carousels have 2 stars.
- Treasure Trove - 12.5% of games
- Star Cluster - 12.5% of games
- The Neekoverse - 7.5% of games
- Lilac Nebula - 7.5% of games
- Medium Legends - 7.5% of games
- Superdense Galaxy - 7.5% of games
- Trade Sector - 10% of games
- Normal - 35% of games
The largest change of the patch is definitely the change to the champion shop drop rates. From levels 3 to 7 the drop rate is being changed to increased 1-cost champions appearing in the shop and lowering the drop chance of 2 and 3-cost champions. This will reduce how easy it’s been to hit 3-star champions for tiers 2 and 3 while improving the odds you’ll be able to get 3-star 1-cost champions.
For example at level 6 the odds of finding a 3-cost is down from 35% to 30% which makes rolling on 6 to hit 3-cost champions much more difficult.
Overall these changes should help balance the dominance of re-roll compositions and may open the door for builds that utilize 3-star 1-cost champions.
And the last system change is the item drop chances of coming in 10.9 making it so that all players get at least one small orb in the first three PvE rounds. This will guarantee a minimum of two extra gold which is great as the early game economy for set 3 was drastically reduced.
Now you’ll be able to afford one or two more champions early on and that can help hit upgrades and either help you get a winning streak early or hopefully at least reduce the damage that you take.
Time to move on to the meat and potatoes of the patch with the balance changes.
Focused balance changes
- Blademaster proc chance: 30/60/100% -> 30/55/100%
- Blaster bonus attacks: 3/6 -> 3/5
- Brawler bonus Health: 300/700 -> 350/650
- Celestial: 15/40/65 -> 15/35/60
- Cybernetic: 350&35/750&75 -> 350&35/700&70
- Darkstar Attack Damage and Spell Power: 25/30/35 -> 20/25/35
- Infiltrator Attack Speed Bonus: 50/80/125 -> 50/75/120
- Infiltrator: Now refreshes on takedown at all levels
- Protector Shield: 20/30/45 -> 25/30/40%
- Rebel Shield: 150/225/350 -> 150/210/330
- Sorcerer Spell Power: 20/45/80/125 -> 20/40/75/120
- Star Guardian Mana: 30/60 -> 30/50
- Vanguard Armor: 60/250 -> 125/250
- Starship: 20 mana per second -> 40 mana per second
- Valkyrie Critical Strike threshold: 50% -> 40% or below
General balance and other adjustments
- Blademaster: Increased the speed of the bonus attacks
- Chrono Attack Speed: 15/35/75% every 4 seconds -> 15% every 8/4/2 seconds
- Chrono: First tick now happens immediately on start of combat.
- Mech Pilot Mana granted to Pilots on Mech death: 25 -> 0
- Mech Pilot Base Health: 1800 -> 1500
- Mech Pilot Share of Pilot Health: 50% -> 45%
Before we dive into them the general idea was to make a lot of smaller tweaks to reduce the power of larger traits such as a 6-piece trait while increasing the strength of two or 4-piece traits. Because of the number of changes we’ll just be going over the ones that are relevant to the meta.
Brawler Bonus Health
Bars having the bonus health changed to 350/650 from 300/700 to help make to brawler a bit easier to splash into compositions. 50 health is not an extreme amount in either direction but it will help to slot into Brawler in cases where you’re already running something like a Vi for Cybernetics or Malphite for Rebels.
Once again Cybernetic is receiving a nerf to 6 Cybernetics as it’s being changed from 750 bonus health and 75 bonus attack damage to 700 health and 70 attack damage. It’s a small enough decrease that 6 Cybernetic will still be strong but if they continue to tweak the trait it may eventually hit the point where it’s no longer viable. That said it should still be fine to play in patch 10.9.
Dark Star AD & Spell Power
Interestingly enough Dark Star is getting changed again right after it received a nerve in the B patch of 10.8. The bonus damage is going to 20/25/35 from 25/30/35, this is overall nerfing the trait again so we’ll have to wait and see how this affects the upcoming meta in 10.9. Vel seems definitely has it out for this trait though as it’s been getting hit repeatedly by the nerf.
Infiltrator Attack Speed Bonus
Infiltrator is receiving two changes with the attack speed bonus going from 50/80/125 to 50/75/120 and the second change is making it so that takedown refreshes the bonus attack speed at all trait tiers.
Overall this makes 2 Infiltrators much more valuable and only slightly lowers the worth of 4 Infiltrators. This change definitely opens up more options for splashing in 2 Infiltrators especially with the trait having a Spatula item.
Protectors having the shield for 2-piece straight increase to 25% from 20%. What this is meant to do is hopefully increase the viability of splashing in 2 protectors for the frontline. It may make 2 protectors worth considering now the most builds use the trait will still continue to be the only time that you run it as it’s not really a splashable trait.
Sorcerer Spell Power
Sorcerers getting a reduction to their bonus spell power by 5% for 4 and 6-piece trait as it’s going from 20/45/80/125 to 20/40/75/120.
Overall 6 sorcerers were fairly uncommon so this doesn’t matter too much but for reducing the power of 4 sorcerers, this will definitely make builds that utilize it a bit worse. Even though it’s only 5% that damage bonus is to every unit on the board so any change can be a significant amount.
It’s unlikely to cause builds that use for a sorcerer to become unplayable but definitely hurt the strength of those compositions.
Star Guardian Mana
Nerf to 6 Star Guardian, the mana that each Star Guardian grants to the others when they cast a spell is going down to 50 from 60. This alongside the nerf to 4 sorcerers is going to be a large hit to the 10.8 meta composition of Star Guardian sorcerer.
On top of those changes is the reduction to the 3-cost champion drop chance in the shop at level 7 which makes it finding a Syndra 3 and Neeco 3 just a bit harder.
There’s a lot of negatives for Star Guardian 10.9, maybe not enough to make that trait unplayable but certainly makes it weaker overall.
Vanguard is getting a big increase to the 2-piece trait as it’s going from 60 armor to 125. Overall this should increase the viability of splashing in 2 Vanguards as an increase of 65 armor is quite a large amount.
Starship is having its mana per second go up to 40 from 20 which is hopefully going to aid Aurelion Sol being more viable.
Valkyrie Critical Strike Threshold
A relevant nerf to the meta is Valkyrie’s critical strike threshold going from 50% down to 40%. This will make all 3 of the Valkyrie champions just a bit weaker at carrying and may make adding to Valkyries less worth it.
Chrono Attack Speed
Chrono attack speed is receiving a bit of a rework as the attack speed is now a flat 15% and will proc every 8/4/2 seconds. This is also accomplished by the effect happening immediately at the start of combat which is overall better as you get the 15% attack speed instantly instead of having to wait for a second. Overall this makes 2 Chrono much better to splash in.
Mech Pilot Base Health
Lastly we have several changes to the mech pilot. The base health is going down to 1,500 from 1,800 and the health granted to the super mech from the pilot is down to 45% from 50%.
The last change that the Mech pilots no longer get bonus mana when the super Mech dies. All of these combined definitely heard the Mech Pilot quite a lot so we’ll have to see how the trait that’s been so dominant in set 3 does in patch 10.9.
Tier 1 Champions
- Fiora Riposte Stun: 1.5/1.5/1.5 -> 1.5/1.5/3 seconds
- Graves Smoke Grenade Blind Duration: 4/4/4 -> 3/4/5 seconds
- Kha'zix Taste their Fear Damage: 175/250/400 -> 200/275/500
- Leona Eclipse Damage Reduction: 40/80/120 -> 40/80/200
- Malphite Energy Shield: 40%/45%/50% -> 40%/45%/60%
- Twisted Fate Wild Cards Damage: 200/300/500 -> 200/300/550
- Ziggs Bomb! Damage: 250/325/550 -> 300/400/700
Tier 2 Champions
- Annie Health: 600 -> 700
- Lucian: Will now target the nearest enemy with his Double Tap after dashing if his current target is dead
- Sona Aria of Perseverance Cleanse: All Debuffs -> Only Stuns
- Sona Aria of Perseverance Heal amount: 100/150/200 -> 150/200/300
- Rakan Grand Entrance Targeting: Farthest unit within 3 Hexes ->
Farthest unit within Attack Range + 1 Hex
- Yasuo Last Breath Targeting: Highest Item unit -> Farthest unit within Attack Range + 2 Hexes
Tier 3 Champions
- Master Yi Chosen One Healing: 8%/10%/15% -> 12% at all levels
- Rumble Flame Spitter Damage: 250/400/800 -> 350/500/1000
Tier 4 Champions
- Jinx Rocket Magic Damage: 100/175/750 -> 125/200/750
Tier 5 Champions
- Aurelion Sol Mana: 30/80 -> 40/120
- Gangplank Mana: 75/175 -> 100/175
- Gangplank Faster Impact Upgrade: 1 sec -> 0.3 sec delay
- Xerath Abyssal Bombardment Damage: 350/450/2500 -> 300/400/2500
- Xerath Abyssal Bombardment Splash Damage (% of base damage): 50% -> 25%
There are quite a few changes to 1-cost champion to 10.9 with most of them being buffs to the 3-star variations. Alongside changes to 1-cost, drop rates this may make going for a 3-star 1-cost champion more viable.
Fiora Riposte Stun
Fiora is getting her stun increased to 3 seconds from 1.5 at level 3. The decent stun but without her damage being buffed it may not be worth going for a 3-star version.
Graves Ultimate Blind Duration
The blind duration for Graves’s ability is going from 4 seconds to 3/4/5 seconds. Graves 1 definitely provided a bit too much utility and now you have the option of gunning for a 5 second blind at Tier 3.
It’s definitely a good CC, it just depends on what builds are actually gonna want of Graves 3.
Kha’zix Ultimate Damageis
Kha’zix is getting a much-needed buff as this ultimate damage is going from 175/250/400 to 200/275/500. While it’s great that he’s being buffed it may not matter much for his viability though a 3-star Kha’zix will do quite a bit of damage if you happen to get it.
Leona Ultimate Damage Reduction
Leona is having her 3-star ability increased to 200 damage reduction from 120. Alongside a buff to 2 Vanguard, it may become a realistic option to play for Leona 3 as she’s going to be insanely hard to kill with these two changes.
Malphite Energy Shield
Malphite alpha is having a 10% increase to his shield at tier 3 as it’s going from 50% to 60%. Malphite is one of the better early game tanks so this change doesn’t really matter too much for him.
If you get a Malphite 3 great, otherwise you’ve been pretty happy with Malphite 2 strengths in the early game anyway.
Twisted Fate Ultimate Damage
TF is having a small buff to his 3-star ability as it’s going up to 200/300/550 from 200/300/500. Not much of an increase as it’s unlikely you’re gonna want Twisted Fate 3 anyway.
Ziggs Ultimate Damage
And the last 1-cost champion is Ziggs, his bomb is getting buffed to 300/400/700 damage from 250/325/550. This will definitely boost how valuable of a champion he is early on though Ziggs 3 may not happen often enough for that particular buff to matter.
Her health is going up to 700 from 600 which is intended to help make her a better champion outside of just the Mech pilot. Being a sorcerer she definitely has viability outside of the Mech pilot but it’s likely she’ll just be used for that trait alone.
Lucian getting a bit of a quality of life change to now target the nearest enemy after the dash of his ultimate if the current target is dead. This will prevent him from stopping randomly and not targeting which is a nice change to his AI.
Sona Ultimate Cleanse
Sona is getting a significant change to how her ability works as no longer will cleanse all debuffs just stuns. This certainly will reduce her usefulness as removing all debuffs really increases her value.
To compensate they have increased her heal amounts to 150/200/300 from 100/150/200. Though it may not be enough to offset the cleanse change.
Yasuo Ultimate Targeting
Yasuo is receiving a change to how his ability functions as it no longer go for the champion with the most items and instead hits the farthest unit within his attack range plus 2 additional Hexes.
You’ll be able to play around Yasuo now but him losing the ability to comfortably go on Carry champions with full items will reduce his usefulness by quite a bit.
Master Yi Ultimate Healing
Master Yi is having his healing flatten to 12% in all levels which now buffs his 1 in 2-star version while nerfing his 3-star. Combined with the Yasuo change this may make the slash bros composition much weaker in patch 10.9.
Rumble Flame Spitter Damage
His ultimate damage is going to 350/500/000 from 250/400/800. This increases the damage at each level a decent amount but still like Annie he’s likely to only be played in the Mech Pilot build. Especially given demolition isn’t really isn’t that flexible enough of a trait to splash in most compositions.
Jinx Rocket Magic Damage
Jinx is being buffed in 10.9 as the damage from her rocket is going up to 125/200/750 from 100/175/750. Overall, this will make her more viable as a carry midway through a fight but doesn’t address the time it takes for her to get to that point.
Aurelion Sol Mana
Aurelion Sol’s having his mana change to 41/120 from 30/80 to coincide with the change to starship increasing the amount of mana gained per second. Overall, it’s a buff considering the mana is now 40 per second.
Gangplank is coming back at 10.9 with a starting mana going up to 100/175 from 75/175 and the faster impact upgrade being buffed to a delay of 0.3 seconds instead of a 1-second delay. These are both nice changes for Gangplank and hopefully push him back to being a more viable legendary champion.
Xerath Ultimate Damage
Xerath was certainly over-performing in 10.8 and these changes hopefully addressed that with his damage going down to 300/400/2500 from 350/450/2500.
The splash damage percentage is also reduced to 25% from 50%. Overall, this should make him a bit weaker in general and hopefully not as dominating late-game as he was in 10.8.
There’s only one item change in 10.9 and that’s the Quicksilver, the CC immunity is going down to 10 seconds from 15 seconds. This is a fairly large reduction though the item will still be useful. It may make tramp claw more popular though we’ll have to wait and see how that plays out in 10.9.
- Star Guardian 3 is now a Bronze Trait.
- Fixed a bug where Xerath could continue firing meteors while reviving from Guardian Angel if he started casting right before he died.
- Fixed a bug where Xerath would lose his transformed state when activating Guardian Angel.
- Fixed a bug where Xerath would get stuck in his idle animation if stunned while transformed.
- Ahri now waits until her first orb returns to cast another one.
- Equipping Items in out of game loadouts screen will now be much faster.
- Took out the tuning fork and made sure the “Login Successful” SFX now plays correctly.
- Your loadout will no longer get messed up when you log out of the app.
- Arena Skins Icons are no longer uncomfortably zoomed in and will show what the skin is (entirely).
- You can now remove a friend from your friends list, we've all been there.
- If you don't select the "stay signed in" option, you will no longer stay signed in. Crazy.
- The Stage indicator panel will no longer be wonky (it's a technical term) if you surrendered in previous games.
- Little Legends rarity is now shown on the loadouts panel.
- The Ready Check indicator and Social Panel got a bunch of small visual fixes. They should be generally cleaner now.
- Begone! Expired missions do not show up in the missions panel anymore.
- Social Auth accounts can now access their inventory when they first login and play the game.
- Game no longer crashes when opening a trait panel in Team Planner, woops.
And that’s going to the end of today’s patch rundown folks. There’s quite a lot of small tweaks for this patch alongside major changes like champion drop rate and two new galaxies. Let us know in the comment section below what you’re most excited about in patch 10.9.